Strata insurance vs personal insurance

Strata insurance vs personal insurance

Table of Contents

Strata owners often get confused about their insurance needs, especially those new to strata living. And this confusion can place them at risk of being underinsured or worse, not being covered at all.

One common misunderstanding is owners believe their personal contents will be covered by their strata building insurance policy. It’s not.

Our friends at one of Australia’s leading strata insurers, CHU, has provided us with some guidance on the differences between its residential strata building insurance, personal contents and landlords insurance policies.

Whilst there are often slight differences and variations for each state, the main message is to be aware of the differences so strata owners can fully protect themselves and their personal belongings.

As a special offer for our readers, enjoy 23% off CHU Contents insurance and/or 25% off CHU Landlords insurance.

Residential strata building insurance

Provides general insurance cover damage or repairs to the building, shared or ‘common’ areas, common property and common area contents including:

CHU Residential Strata Insurance Plan*


  • Baths | toilets | shower screens
  • Hand basins | sinks | fixed tiling
  • Ducted air conditioners
  • Windows | doors | built-in cupboards | floating floors
  • Stoves
  • Paintwork | wallpapering
  • Public light fittings


Common area contents:

  • Carpets | floating floors | other temporary wall, floor and ceiling coverings within hallways and lobbies
  • Pot plants | mirrors | decorations within common areas
  • Appliances such as washing machines and dryers owned by the
  • Owners Corporation and used by all unit owners and housed in common laundries
  • Barbeque equipment, gardening equipment and garden or indoor furniture


* Cover based on CHU Residential Strata Insurance Plan – please check your residential strata building insurance policy as cover may differ.

Contents insurance

Provides cover for your household and personal possessions within your lot such as clothing, jewellery, carpet, furniture and electrical appliances. It also covers the financial cost of repairing or replacing these possessions in the event of loss or damage.

CHU Contents Insurance for Strata*

  • Carpet | floating floors | other temporary wall, floor and ceiling coverings
  • Light fittings
  • Curtains | blinds
  • Household appliances such as dishwashers, refrigerators, washing machines and dryers
  • Personal equipment and valuables such as jewellery and watches;
  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Entertainment equipment such as TVs, stereos and devices


* Cover based on CHU Contents Insurance for Strata – please check your contents insurance policy as cover may differ.

Landlords insurance

CHU Landlords Insurance for Strata* covers owners who rent out their property, such as a unit, apartment or villa to tenants and protects them against loss or damage to their investment property. It provides cover to personal items including carpets, light fittings, curtains, blind and washing machines against accidental damage, theft, burglary, or malicious damage caused by tenants and guests.

Landlords insurance also provides cover for loss of rent if the tenant defaults, leaves unexpectedly or if the property becomes unfit to be occupied.

* Cover based on CHU Landlords Insurance for Strata – please check your contents insurance policy as cover may differ.

Consider your insurance needs carefully

It is important to understand that the residential strata building insurance policy ends when you cross the threshold of your individual property.

When considering purchasing your own insurance, think about what is within your apartment and weigh up the potential risk of not insuring those items.

Don’t be disillusioned thinking it will never happen to me. Just ask any strata community manager about the horror stories of residents suffering as a result of not having adequate insurance cover.

To discuss your property’s strata management needs or receive a FREE management proposal contact our friendly team. We also offer more helpful resources and community living news in our FREE newsletter.

The information provided is a general guide only and is not intended as a substitute for legal advice. The company disclaims all responsibility and liability for any expenses, losses, damages, and costs which might be incurred as a result of the information provided by the company. This content is published in partnership with CHU.

CHU Underwriting Agencies Pty Ltd (ABN 18 001 580 070, AFS Licence No: 243261) acts under a binding authority as agent of the insurer QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (ABN 78 003 191 035, AFS Licence No: 239545). Terms, conditions, limits, deductibles and exclusions apply to the products referred to above. Any advice in this article is general advice only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making a decision to acquire any product(s) or to continue to hold any product, we recommend that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (‘PDS’), Financial Services Guide (‘FSG’) and the Target Market Determination (‘TMD’) which can either be viewed at or obtained by contacting CHU directly on 1300 361 263.

Share this article